Thursday, September 8, 2011

STEELE Interview

Jacob Mabb needed and interview for a school project..
Here it is and I more than happy to fill it out for him...
I hope you are getting waves somewhere.


Jon Steele Interview

Hey Jon, how are you?

Thanks for asking, I am really sore from work and surf, but doing amazing! We just had a an amazing swell that came from Tahiti for about 5 days of overhead to 12ft. surf. Mix that with morning bike rides, dead dragging kayaks on the beach and SUP'n tours, hours editing and cleaning gear and I am exhausted.

How has work been lately?
Work has been amazing lately with swells pumping and summer in full effect. I got a new lens and new computer so I am re-energized to shoot and get some work done.

Working on any projects at the moment?
Just finished the last swell photo gallery for ESPN blog and gearing up for a photo trip to Kauai. I will be shooting stock imagery as well as some editorial work for SUP magazines and hopefully get some surfing in!
Here is a link to the recent work published this week.
Link: http://espn.go.com/action/surfing/story/_/id/6935074/west-coast-swell-roundup


If so, how is that going?
Super excited and just planning the rest of the season which entails going to Kauai, then fly back to Texas for an art show with Dinah Bowman in October. After Texas show and shooting with the Sector 9 team there surfing and skating, hop back on a plane to document the North Shore Season for the winter of November and December. Pretty fun and exciting and just coming up with trip ideas for Jan/Feb, another trip to Texas in March and continue chasing waves.

What has been your best trip so far and who was it with?
As cliche as it might sound, its hard to pick one best trip. A photographer gains, learns and has so many different experiences in every imaginable way possible that it is hard to claim one. That's why photographers make coffee table books, in able to tell the whole story behind the image. A photo is worth 1000 words.
I feel one of my best trips was Alaska for adventure, Italy :for friends, culture and illusive waves. Indo for size and perfection and being at the end of the earth. Jamaica for the skate, surf & reggae life. But mostly it's when I am blessed to bring pros to Texas and turn them onto waves and the amazing community there.

What was it like working with those guys?
Working with the pros both men and women is awesome. We all have blessed lives that we are able to make a living at what we do. Most pros' are in high spirits and love to travel, so when we meet up for the first time everyone pretty much clicks and gets along great. To do this job you must take everything in stride and can't get bent outta shape on trivial travel problems. Most pros are out to score waves and have a good time, if you're into that and have a good set of earplugs to help sleep among crowded conditions everyone gets along great.


What is the best part about your job?
The best part of my job is having my feet in the sand on some strange beach as well as just documenting history of surfing at that moment in time. The friendships that are made when put on tour with a stranger and leaving as best friends. The laughter as most of us in the industry have the same interests and are open minded to others lifestyles. A lot of gratuity of my job comes from someone recognizing me at the airport in some foreign spot and them telling me how much they have appreciated my photos for the past 10 years or so.. You are selling dreams to others who can't travel and that is pretty priceless.


Where do you see the surf industry in 10 years?
It's hard to predict or speak out about the surf industry in fear of repercussions from the powers that be... I don't really follow contests, but enjoy watching the better ones online when the waves are pumping. Many people feel that contest surfing needs to be in the industry and thats fine, I would like to see more talented people earning their livings based on the talent they are than what someone is pushing or getting at a cheap rate. Lead by example and the rest will follow. I hope to see the the industry realize what goes into imagery and pay accordingly. As photographers we need to work on upping the ante on imagery sales and pricing.


Where do you see yourself amongst all that?
I will be in the thick of it, standing up for my work and ethics.

What is the best thing that’s happened to you when you have been working?
I was shooting the Roxy Pro Tavarua years ago and a small rainy day put the contest on hold and no one was motivated to surf or shoot in the overcast day. Derek Dunfee broke his board on the first or second wave and I continued to surf Cloudbreak on a perfect 3-4ft day with no one out....Pretty all time and amazing little barrels. Thanks Roxy!

The worst thing?
The next day on Tavarua, I woke up to being violently sick from eating something that night. I was so sick I couldn't get to the boat to shoot. It was 4ft. perfect and great morning light. Pretty crushing when you're frothing to shoot...

What is your setup like at the moment?
At the moment I am shooting with a 7d, 60d Canon bodies, 4oomm lens and new tripod and head. Just upgraded much of my gear so I am testing and having fun playing with the new gear. I have a slew of other gear and lenses but like i said this is what i am testing and shootin with mostly at this time.

Is there something that you’ve been trying behind the lens but just cant stick yet?
I would love to nail some Judo airs or Madonna on a surfboard so on the right days I try but the Madonna is pretty scary. Chrisitan did Judo's back in the day and no one has replicated it since. I think thats pretty lame especially since double grab airs are lame. Hahah.

Do you have any regrets in life so far?
Yeah there are a few regrets but thats part of growing up, its less of regret and more of learning from mistakes. There would be things I would attempt to do different or better for sure but thats life. You get one shot at it. I'm just blessed at the moment and truly throughout this whole trip (even though there have been bad times) so I'm just trying to pass that stoke onto others and help groms & others have more positive energy in their lives.

Words of wisdom to the younger guys looking to get not only into surf photography but also into life?
Stand up for what you believe in, believe in yourself and never undersell what you are worth. There is already alot of negativity in the world, strive to be the positive. Love what you do and the rest will fall into place. The best thing you can do is ask questions.

Feel free to hit me up with more questions, comments or concerns!