Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Photography Questions

Here is a letter that was sent to me from an aspiring young artist from my home town. I wanted to share my responses with everyone one on the blog as I think that is a huge part of being successful. Passing of the torch to others so that they may better themselves and give the world their art. . Art Brewer the legend to me and was kind enough to always lend an ear and help out when he could. When I was first starting out as a photographer he and other shooters like Tom Servais and Jeff Divine would answer questions I had and it was always great to chat them up about their travels. Many a stories are just told of the athletes we document but I feel it is our duty to help the youth and aspiring artists as without us the athletes wouldn't be documented as they should. WIthout the admiration of successful shooters and support from others, you might as well get a job in a cubicle now before committing to the life journey of shooting and art you are about to partake in.

Question:
Hi, I'm Lexi from Corpus Christi. I was looking at all your work and it's really awesome! I'm interested in being a photographer and an artist, and I was wondering how you got started.

Answer:
Aloha Lexi!!
Thank you so much for you letter of inquiry and I appreciate you writing me. I apologize it took so long to get back to you but I have been extremely busy with traveling and the past month of art shows and shooting gigs. Thank you for your patience. Thank you for the kind words about my work and hopefully I can answer a few of your questions to help you with your choice to become a professional artist and photographer.

To sum it up, I got started in photography from an ex girlfriend of mine who's father was a photographer. At the time I was painting and drawing a lot and loved it. I had always drawn, sketched and and felt the need to create but it wasn't until Junior College that I figured out I needed to do something that will support me in the future. (Gulp!) So on a surf trip to Mexico, I used my girlfriends camera and captured a few of the bigger days of a swell that we had been getting as well as a few portraits and things around the town and the places we visited.
Upon returning to the States, I realized that I could take photos of the places I liked and then paint them later when I had time. I had captured a few photos that really turned me on to getting that "moment" and thought this would be perfect. LIttle did I know I would jump full bore into photography at Del Mar College under Mrs. Flowers close watch. Mrs. Flowers allowed me to push the boundaries with art and photography as well as letting me print til my hearts delight in the lab. This was huge deal for me and I was wrapping my brain around the foundation of shooting, processing and developing.
Two years into Junior College I knew I needed to ramp up the work and find a career but nothing was really speaking to me. I was good at art but NOT as good as many others. I was good at shooting but still felt very disheartened when critic day came around and my projects fell short of what I wanted them to look like and the students around me. Fast forward and I was terrified about the future, and one day while talking to an old surfer friend, Brad and Jerry Steph, who were amazing artists and even better friends, they turned me on to Brooks Institute as Brad's old roomate went there when they were in Santa Barbara...
I rolled the dice, got accepted and packed my gear to head out west to get my schooling started by the grace of my parents help and support and a lot of hard work. At college I still felt lost, behind the others and not as technically savvy as everyone around me. I made sure never to give up and continue to push the envelope despite what others and teachers thought. Later on I found that many of my teachers were pushing me to become stronger despite the bad grades and lack of reaction to my immature craft. For this I am extremely greatful to Bill Robbins, Paul Meyer and those who were around me at the time as well as my always trusty model and best friend Mike Black. Mike and others around me went above and beyond the call of duty when asked to do strange and unusual things on film for the sake of my art and creative vision. Thank Ya'll.

Question:
I surf, and I've always thought it would be awesome to be a surfing photographer because it's something that I enjoy doing. Is it hard?

Answer:
Being a surf photographer might be one of the last things you want to do if you crave surfing as much as I do. There are days that it's terribly hard to work as the waves are perfect and days things aren't coming together as you would like them to. But there are days that the work is done, locals invite you to share waves and barrels of your life are had. It is a very tuff thing to do sometimes and you must have a good and strong work ethic.. Being a surf shooter can be dangerous, tedious, and downright frustrating at times. I believe that it is our job to document history and the people making it happen at that time. So when the waves are cracking and the talent is on fire, there is nothing more rewarding than capturing that moment despite the food poisoning, the long flights, lost luggage or everything else that comes up to deter one from getting or documenting the "best session of your life!"


Question:
I paint as well and I've been wanting to paint a surfboard. My dream is to pretty much do what you're doing right now, or something similar. I know you are probably really busy, but I was wondering if you could give me any tips on how to get started or just point me in the right direction. Since you're familiar with Corpus Christi, I thought maybe you could help me out since you know what all Corpus has to offer. I would really appreciate it! 
Thanks,
Lexi

Answer:
I know that sometimes my life seems like it is ideal and that it's play all the time. But like I mentioned prior, to become successful you must have a good work ethic, not take "no" for an answer and pick yourself up and start again every time you fail and learn from that to better your work. Surfboards are expensive and most shapers need to see your work and style and approach before allowing you to help them with "paid" work. Apprenticeships in art and photography would be a great start as it always helps you learn a different approach to how someone else tackles a problem.
My suggestions would be to ask your friends to paint their boards or offer to help out around the local surf shop like MDC out in Flour Bluff. Mike Doyle customs and other local shapers like my mentor Jason Comstock of Tribe surfboards helped me get started. Seeing their technique and approach before even getting your hands dirty is a great way to build up your "tool belt" of your own. You will use these "tools" for the rest of your life in your craft. Additionally, apprenticeships and assistant work allows your creative side to build up and release later when you actually have time for your personal work. My old professors couldn't stress it enough in school; assist, assist and assist! Find photographers, painters and shapers you admire and do exactly what you have done with me, ask them for help, offer to sweep the shop, take out the trash, learn humility and do what ever you can to help take stress off of their lives. This will not go unnoticed.

So, with that being said, I hope I shed a little light on your questions and how you want to move forward to obtain your goal as a professional surf photographer and/ or artist. Good luck, thank you for your inquiry and don't take "no" for an answer ever! Feel free to hit me up with any other questions, comments or concerns. The torch is in your hands now, run with it and let the flame shine brightly!!!!

Aloha!
-Jon Steele